The most delicious way to experience herbal medicine
Our very own rooibos chai tea hits the shelves tomorrow and I'm so excited to share it with all of you as well as customise it as a base for delivering even more plant medicine (more on this below) ☕️
This is a 100% certified organic caffeine free blend of rooibos, anise, cinnamon, fennel, ginger, cardamom, cloves and peppercorns to soothe the nervous system and support digestion. I gave this first blend a moment in the sunshine while I bottled it up with the rosellas and kookaburras singing overhead which I think makes it even more magic!
It's really important to take a minute to address the fact that there’s so many tea companies popping up these days. It’s imperative to question where the plants are grown and stored and who is blending them for you. Tea is medicine and builds the basis of most herbalists and naturopaths practice as an invaluable tool to delivery medicinal properties and support your health. Trust a naturopath or someone experienced in herbal medicine with your tea (and not someone looking to exploit plants and/or growers or jump on the bandwagon for financial gain). For this reason we stock @loveteaofficial for their amazing pyramid bags filled with herbs blended by a naturopath along side our ever growing dispensary of loose dried herbs.
Our little herbal dispensary is growing every week and I'm here Monday-Friday to help you decide which herbs will work best for you. You can bring your own jar/bag or we can fill a paper bag for you in your choice of size which is especially great if you're experiencing a herb for the first time and just want a small amount to begin with. It also means you can adjust your blend as your needs change.
To that end, lets delve briefly into my top recommendations as herbal additions to your already medicinal chai!
- First things first, all the herbs in chai tea are aromatic digestives that act on the digestive system to bring warmth and gentle stimulation. This means a daily chai is not only delicious but also perfect to balance digestive symptoms such as bloating, cramping, flatulence, IBS, constipation, diarrhoea, colic, distention etc. Cinnamon and fennel also help balance blood sugar levels making caffeine free chai the perfect go to when you feel that afternoon sugar craving kicking in.
- Add medicinal mushroom powders, organic withania and/or licoric root to tonify the adrenals and modify your stress response to increase cognitive function, support rest, decrease anxiety and depression and improve your mood.
- Add organic astragalus root and echinacea to support the immune system and exert adaptogenic properties to help you balance your sympathetic/parasympathetic nervous system response. This the my go to for anyone feeling run down, de-vitalised and susceptible to infection
- Add organic chamomile, passionflower, lavender and/or lemon balm to help calm the body and mind and relax you into sleep
- Add organic dandelion root and ground turmeric to support digestion and elimination. These plants get the liver working to detoxify and pair perfectly with the aromatic digestives already in traditional chai blends 🍃